VITA Free Tax Preparation Sites Suspend Operations in Southeast Texas
Beaumont, TX—Efforts to curb the spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus have prompted the suspension of seven Volunteer Income Tax Assistance free tax preparation sites in Southeast Texas.
The Southeast Texas VITA coalition this year operated the following seven sites, all of which have suspended activities.
- The Gloria Ramirez Neighborhood Resource Center, 2850 Gulf St., Beaumont.
- United Way of Beaumont and North Jefferson County, 700 North St., Beaumont.
- United Way of Mid- and South-Jefferson County, Port Arthur.
- Catholic Charities, 2780 Eastex Freeway, Beaumont.
- Vincent DePaul Society, 3730 FM 160 N., Raywood.
- Jackson Community Center, 520 W. Decatur Ave., Orange.
- Bridge City Library 101 Parkside Dr., Bridge City.
“We regret having to suspend operations at these sites,” said Jon Korejwa, program director. “We are, however, committed to doing what is right and best for our clients as well as the community in general and already begun taking extra precautions before public officials began calling for restrictions of the number of people in group gatherings.”
VITA, or the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, is a program of the IRS that was brought to Southeast Texas some 11 years ago, thanks to funding from Entergy Inc. Lamar University is the managing partner for the program.
Last year alone, VITA sites here prepared some 700 returns, resulting in $600,000 in refunds.
Partners in addition to Entergy, Lamar University and the organizations operating sites as listed above, include MobilOil Credit Union which offers financial education training for clients.
Those needing further information may contact Korejwa at 409-840-6900.