WOS High School offers classes of which you may not be aware
Published 2:01 pm Saturday, October 19, 2019
Most of our community is aware of recent athletic facility upgrades at West Orange-Stark High School. In prior columns, I have also shared technology upgrades that directly benefit our students and teachers. However, you may not be aware that many new college and career pathways have also been added for our students.
The Early College High School (ECHS) program at WOS High School allows students to earn a high school diploma and an associate degree from Lamar State College-Orange. The program is free to ECHS students. Tuition, transportation, books, and a laptop with Wi-Fi home access are provided. A new class of freshmen is added annually. The ECHS program is currently in its third year.
More than 20 dual credit courses continue to be available through a partnership with LSCO. Unlike many other schools, WOCCISD provides these courses free of charge to WOS students as the district covers the cost of tuition and books.
Additionally, the WOS Career Center offers Career and Technology Education (CTE) courses in numerous pathways. These include:
- Technology Applications
- Arts, Audio/Video Technology & Communications
- Architecture & Construction
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics
- Health Science
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
- Cosmetology (offered through Orange Beauty Academy)
CTE pathways reflect workforce needs and strive to provide students with certification. Multiple classes are available to students in each area. Recent course additions include Virtual Business, Commercial Photography, Graphic Design, Video Game Design, Architecture, Design, Principles of Education, Practicum in Education & Training (Ready, Set, Teach!), Principals of Engineering, Engineering Design and Presentation / Problem Solving, and Welding.
Many new courses/classes are in partnership with LSCO. These include dual credit course offerings in Maritime Services, Process Technology, Medical Terminology, Emergency Medical Tech, Advanced Nurse Assistant, Phlebotomy, and Pharmacy Tech.
Additionally, a counselor dedicated to supporting WOS High School students in College, Career, and Military Readiness (CCMR) has been added to our staff. Each year through CCMR:
- WOS administers the PSAT or SAT to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. WOCCISD covers the cost of all tests.
- The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test is also offered.
- A CCMR Week is held annually for dual credit students. College, university, and military recruiters meet with these students in small group presentations.
- CTE students attend the Youth Expo in Jefferson County.
- WOS students attend the Orange County College Night at LSCO. WOS High School students also attend a College Fair hosted in Jefferson County.
- Weekly, different colleges, university or military recruiters are invited to speak to students during lunch periods.
- Choices360 software addresses college and career preparation, scholarship information, application timelines, test preparation, career finding, and more.
- Field trips to universities are conducted.
- CCMR meetings for senior class members are held.
- Several FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) workshops are held on campus throughout the year for seniors. Area college and university financial aid departments assist our students and parents in completing this required on-line application for college-bound students.
- An on-site Texas Success Initiative (TSI) computer lab is also available. WOCCISD also pays for our students to take the first administration of the TSI.
WOCCISD is empowering lives through excellence every day. This is very evident upon passing through the doors of WOS High School. We believe in John Maxwell’s philosophy that “One is too small a number to achieve greatness.”
Dr. Rickie R. Harris is the Superintendent at West Orange – Cove CISD