Finding Assistance after Tropical Storm Imelda

Published 8:31 am Friday, October 18, 2019

Are you a Texas homeowner or renter whose home is damaged or uninhabitable because of damage caused by Tropical Storm Imelda? Resources are available to help get you on the road to recovery.
Here are the first steps to take:
Do you have insurance?

If you have a homeowner’s or flood insurance policy, contact your insurance company and file a claim first.

Assess the condition of your home and property. Document any damages with photographs and make a list of damaged items. If possible, find receipts for those items.

If your home IS safe, sanitary, and secure:

You can check to see if you are eligible for disaster assistance from other Federal, state, and voluntary organizations by visiting This tool can help you identify available resources in your community.

If your home is NOT safe, sanitary, or secure:

Visit, or call 1-800-621-3362 to assess your needs and to find out what federal assistance may be available to you. If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585. If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

Although FEMA cannot make you whole, it may help your recovery move forward by providing grants for basic repairs to make your home safe, sanitary and secure. FEMA assistance may also provide temporary help with a place for you and your family to stay while you build your own recovery plan.