VIDEO: Smoking burns Orangefield home

Published 9:16 pm Friday, August 2, 2019

By Eric Williams

The Orange Leader

Careless disposing of smoking material appears to have started a fire that severely damaged a home Friday afternoon, July 26, in the Orangefield area.

According to OCESD 2 Fire Arson Investigator Lieutenant Elgin Browning, firefighters were called to the home, in the 1000 block of Leblanc Street, around 6:50 p.m. in reference to a reported structure fire.

“Upon arrival on [the] scene, there was heavy fire and smoke was coming from the front of the home. We quickly contained the fire to the home, so it didn’t spread to any nearby structures,” said Browning.

The occupants of the structure noticed the smoke before they noticed the flames and everyone was able to escape quickly and safely out of the back of the home, so no injuries were reported from the fire.

“After the fire was out, it was determined that there had been some careless of disposing of smoking material. We want to warn people to be careful where they put their cigarette butts,” Browning said.

The fire tore through the front of the home and caught two nearby vehicles on fire before firefighters could bring it under control.

“Our firefighters did a good job fighting this fire, and we were a little shorthanded this late in the evening, so mutual aid was brought in from Pinehurst and West Orange Fire Departments,” said Browning.