Cooking mishap burns home

Published 4:37 pm Saturday, December 29, 2018

By Eric Williams

The Orange Leader


A cooking mishap is believed to be responsible for burning a home late
Wednesday night. The Orange Fire Department responded to a report of a
structure fire around 10 p.m. Wednesday in the 2600 block of Clark Lane in Orange.
According to the homeowner, she had just finished cooking and went
into the bedroom to relax. A short time later she smelled something
burning and went into the kitchen, which was on fire.

The homeowner attempted to extinguish the blaze, but the flames
became too powerful for her to fight and she quickly exited the home
calling 911 for help.

Upon arrival on scene, firefighters found a single story structure
with heavy flames and smoke coming from the center of the home. All
occupants were out of the home and firefighters extinguished the
blaze in about 20 minutes.

Orange Police Officer B. Latiolais aided an elderly lady and her dog
out of the next door residence as their home was being filled with
smoke from the wind.

The fire remains under investigation by the Orange Fire Department and
no injuries were reported.

This fire leaves a mother and her two sons now homeless.

The home received major fire, smoke, and water damage.