Argument between family members ends with one being shot, a manhunt

Published 2:01 pm Saturday, August 5, 2017

By Eric Williams

The Orange Leader


VINTON — According to Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Deputy Lt. M.Gibbs, commanding officer, an argument started between two people who were driving down Edgerly- DeQuincy Road Friday evening around 4:20pm.

The vehicle allegedly pulled over on the side of the road and that is when the suspect shot the victim and then left the scene, said Gibbs.

A BOLO alert was put out on the vehicle, and Vinton Police located the vehicle at a house on Stevenson Street.

Deputys arrived on scene and made several attempts to make contact with the alleged suspect. After not receiving any response from the residence, members of the swat team were sent out to the scene.

Lt. Gibbs stated, “We treating this as a serious situation and we are taking every precaution we can not to force a situation that we don’t want to happen. We are doing negotiations to try and resolve this and end this as peaceful as we can.

Another male inside the residence who lived there contacted police by phone stating, he had nothing to do with the shooting and wanted to come out the residence. Vinton Police Chief Ricki Foxx, escorted the man out of the house over to the command center. He was detained and questioned by officers but later released.

The victim was transported to a Lafayette hospital. Authorities say they still don’t know the cause of the argument.

According to Kim Myers, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman, the suspect, William S. Lastrapes, 36, of Vinton allegedly shot the victim in the leg. The suspect’s vehicle was at the residence but the suspect was not inside.

The injuries are non-life-threatening, said Myers.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Lastrapes for $750,000, and he is charged with attempted second-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Kim Myers asks anyone who knows where Lastrapes is to call 911 or the Sheriff’s Office at 337-491-3605.

The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office, Vinton and Louisiana State Police, and SWAT were called to the scene.