Entergy Texas Is Storm Ready for the 2017 Hurricane Season
Published 11:47 am Saturday, June 10, 2017
THE WOODLANDS, Texas – Today marks the official start of the 2017 hurricane season, and Entergy Texas employees are ready to respond if a major storm threatens the state.
Forecasts differ in their predictions for this hurricane season, but it only takes one major storm reaching the Gulf Coast to upend lives.
“We prepare year-round for storms,” said Vernon Pierce, vice president of customer service for Entergy Texas. “You never know when a hurricane will strike, but Entergy is ready and encourages customers to be prepared as well.”
Entergy maintains a constant focus on being prepared for major weather events and invests hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade and enhance the system, which improves the resiliency of the electrical system.
Whether it’s making an emergency plan, creating an emergency supply kit or purchasing supplies and gear needed to weather a storm, the best time to prepare is now.
Planning Remains Key to Restoration
With decades of experience in restoring power after tropical systems, Entergy relies upon a time- and weather-tested plan called Storm Ready. It involves continuous preparation and training for everyone in the company.
Staying Storm Ready is a year-round effort, and it begins with monitoring weather systems around the clock, every day of the year. When there’s a weather threat, Entergy uses weather forecasts and computer models based on experience with past storms to predict an estimated number and duration of outages that could occur. Based on those estimates, Entergy will call on restoration workers from around the country to get the power back on as safely and quickly as possible.
Keeping Customers Informed
As important as the restoration itself is keeping customers safe and informed. Customers can stay up to date on restoration efforts through many channels:
- Customers can download the Entergy app for iPhone or Android at com/app/. It gives customers the ability to report an outage or check if power is restored on the street at their home or business.
- Sign up for text alerts by texting REG to 368374.
- Follow Entergy Texas on com/entergytx or facebook.com/entergytx for updates on restoration activities.
- Visit the View Outages map on Entergy’s website to get information about an outage.
Entergy’s Storm Center is a one-stop shop for storm preparation, safety and restoration information:
- Restoration information is added to the site throughout the day.
- A link to the View Outages map to provide outage and estimated restoration information.
- Customers can also access Operation: Storm Ready, a guide to help them plan and prepare for weather emergencies.
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to more than 440,000 customers in 27 counties. It is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 10,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $10.8 billion and more than 13,000 employees.