Legacy Scholarship Program announced
Special to The Leader
The American Legion is proud to honor the memories of servicemembers who made the ultimate sacrifice during the war on terrorism. Our Legacy Scholarship helps children of those killed while on active duty afford college. New this year, the scholarship is also available for children of veterans having a combined VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
To qualify and apply for The American Legion Legacy Scholarship, you must be able to answer YES to the following 3 questions.
- Are you currently a high school senior and/or accepted at or attending an institution of higher education?
- Is your institution of higher education a nonprofit and regionally-accredited institution? (If you are unsure, contact your institution’s admission office. Regional accreditation applies to the whole school not a program.)
- Does at least one of the following statements apply to you?
- A legal parent of mine died while serving on active duty, U.S. military service on or after September 11, 2001. (Does not have to be a death out-of-country or in combat.)
- . A legal parent of mine is a Post-9/11 veteran of the U.S. military, who has been given a disability rating of 50% or higher by the Veterans Administration.
The deadline to apply this year is April 20.To Learn more and apply, please visit www.legion.org/scholarships/legacy