Give the Gift of Responsible Driving this Holiday
Special to The Leader
BEAUMONT – The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) troopers will be stepping up enforcement efforts to help ensure safety on the roadways this holiday season. During patrols, troopers will be watching for impaired drivers, speeders and seatbelt/child safety seat violators.
During the holidays, speed and impaired driving are key factors in deadly motor vehicle crashes in the Beaumont area. DPS urges motorists to follow all traffic laws and avoid driving after consuming alcoholic beverages or drugs that impair a person’s ability to operate a motor vehicle. Since November 7, 2000, there have been no deathless days on Texas roadways.
DPS offers the following tips for safe travel during the holidays:
- Don’t drink and drive. Designate a sober driver or take a cab.
- Slow down – especially in bad weather, construction areas and heavy traffic.
- Eliminate distractions, including the use of mobile devices.
- Buckle up everyone in the vehicle – it’s the law.
- Slow down or move over police, fire, EMS, Texas Department of Transportation vehicles and tow trucks that are stopped on the side of the road with emergency lights activated – it’s the law.
- Don’t drive fatigued – take breaks on long trips.
- Drive defensively, as holiday travel may present additional challenges.
• Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before your trip begins.
Special to The Leader AUSTIN — Sarah Simon, trustee from West Orange Cove CISD joined 34 other school board members... read more