May activities signal stretch run
Published 6:10 pm Saturday, May 7, 2016
Editorial by Rickie R. Harris
Spring is an extremely busy time of year for schools, especially the month of May. Our campuses are completing the final marking period and the last rounds of semester and state tests. Students are performing in fine art programs and being presented with honors at end-of-year award assemblies. Outstanding teams and athletes are competing in the final rounds of state competitions. Seniors are excitedly awaiting graduation. It is the stretch run.
In this column, I would like to share important dates for our school family.
Tuesday, May 10
• District PTA Meeting @WOSHS, 6 p.m.
Thursday, May 12
- WOS High School Senior Awards, 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 14
- WOCCISD Job Fair, ESC Atrium, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- UIL State Track & Field Meet, Austin, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Tuesday, May 17
- Lemonade Stand/Humane Society Fundraiser, WOS Elementary, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- WOS High School Athletic Banquet, 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 18
- Kindergarten, First, and Second Grade Field Day, WOS Elementary, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Ninth Grade Awards Program, WOS High School, 10 a.m.
- Greater Orange Area Honor Luncheon, Expo Center, 11:30 a.m.
- Tenth Grade Awards Program, WOS High School, 1 p.m.
Thursday, May 19
- Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade Field Day, WOS Elementary, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Eleventh Grade Awards Program, WOS High School, 10 a.m.
- Twelfth Grade Awards Program, WOS High School, 1 p.m.
- WOS Middle School Spring Review, Carl Godwin Auditorium, 6 p.m.
Friday, May 20
- Student Early Release Day
Sunday, May 22
- Baccalaureate, Carl Godwin Auditorium, 6:30 p.m.
Monday, May 23
- Project Safe Graduation Senior Trip, Sulphur
- 4 Year Old Transition Ceremony
(Barron, Woodard, Cheek, Taggart), North Early Learning Center, 8:45
- 4 Year Old Transition Ceremony (Bornette, Courtier, Richard), North Early Learning Center, 10:30
Tuesday, May 24
- WOS High School Field Day
- 4 Year Old Transition Ceremony
(Conner, Knobloch, Lazenby), North Early Learning Center, 9:30 a.m.
Wednesday, May 25
- Night of Champions, WOS Middle School, 6 – 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, May 26
- North Early Learning Center Perfect Attendance Recognition, 8:20 – 8:45 a.m.
- North Early Learning Center Field Day, 8:45 – 11 a.m.
- Retirement Award and Teacher of the Year Banquet, Educational Service Center, 6 p.m.
Friday, May 27
- North Early Learning Center End of Year Celebration, 8 – 10:30 a.m.
- Fifth Grade Awards, WOS Elementary, Hayes Gym, 9 a.m.
- Middle School Awards Program, 9 – 11 a.m.
- District Early Release
- Deadline to enroll in ESL Summer School Program for Kindergarten and first grade students
- Graduation, Dan R. Hooks Stadium and Leroy D. Breedlove Field, 6:30 p.m.
Monday, May 30
- Bad Weather Day/ Staff, Student Holiday
Other activities are still being finalized. We hope that you will plan to join us as we celebrate the many accomplishments of our students. Please note that program dates and times are subject to change as administration deems necessary.
Finally, WOCCISD is moving towards on-line registration. We would like all of our parents to utilize the Family Access Parent Portal. Family Access includes student gradebook, attendance, health, and other data. Family Access applications and information packets are downloadable on our website: www.woccisd.net
As contemporary author John Maxwell said, “One is too small a number to achieve greatness.” Go Mustangs!
Rickie R. Harris is the Superintendent at West Orange – Cove CISD.