Pinehurst Police Department increases DWI patrols
Published 11:55 am Saturday, August 29, 2015
Special to The Leader
The Pinehurst Police Department is increasing DWI patrols Aug. 21 – Sept. 7, which includes the Labor Day holiday weekend. During this period, officers will focus DWI patrols in high-risk locations at times when alcohol-related crashes are most frequent.
Impaired drivers put other travelers in harm’s way. Increased patrols during the Labor Day holiday are designed to save lives by getting these dangerous drivers off the road. The Pinehurst Police Department urges all drivers to do their part to keep our roads and highways safe by obeying traffic laws and not drinking and driving.
Chief Fred R. Hanauer III offers the following tips for safe travel during the Labor Day holiday:
- Don’t drink and drive. Designate a driver.
- Eliminate distractions, including the usage of mobile devices.
- Buckle up everyone in the vehicle – it’s the law.
- Slow down – especially in bad weather, construction areas and heavy traffic.
- Slow down or move over for police, fire and EMS vehicles as well as tow trucks and TxDOT vehicles stopped on the side of the road with emergency lights activated – it’s the law.
- Don’t drive fatigued.
- Drive defensively, as holiday travel may present additional challenges.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before your trip begins.