Special to The Leader
The Orange Leader
The City of Orange Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire this afternoon at 3:05PM at 1207 11th Street. An Orange Police unit was the first to arrive and reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the house. The two residents escaped without injury and one of the residents was an elderly female that was pulled out of the house by her adult granddaughter. The fire was brought under control in 20 minutes but fire crews remained on the scene until 4:45 to insure all fire was extinguished. The home was damaged too severely for the residents to stay. The two residents will stay at family members homes until the home is repaired. No injuries were reported by the emergency responders and the cause of the fire is believed to be a wall style space heater. No working smoke detectors were found and the residents were lucky to escape with their lives. This should alert everyone that a working smoke detector will save your life if a fire occurs. Space heaters and heating systems should be checked by a qualified technician before use.