Special to The Leader
Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana have seen its share of legendary concert performances, and more are on the way in 2013. Here’s a look back at some of the events between April 4 through April 10 over the years.
• April 4, 2012 The Toadies returned to Southeast Texas for a concert at The Gig in advance of its forthcoming July 2012 release, “Play. Rock. Music.” Special guests included The Phuss and Sea Lion.
• April 4, 2009 Texas rockers The Toadies performed to a capacity crowd at the Scout Bar in downtown Beaumont as the band toured in support of its August 2008 release, “No Deliverance.”
• April 4, 1981 Rainbow, featuring guitarist Richie Blackmore and new vocalist, Joe Lynn Turner, performed at Fair Park Coliseum in Beaumont in support the band’s fifth album, “Difficult to Cure,” which was released in February of the same year.
• April 4, 1980 Heart performed at the Lake Charles Civic Center in support of its February release, “Bebe le Strange,” which featured the hit single “Even It Up.”
• April 5, 2009 The “SnoCore Tour” arrived in Beaumont with metal bands Static X, Burn Halo and The Flood for a concert at the Scout Bar on Crockett Street.
• April 5, 2005 Crockett Street venue Antone’s was the setting for a big show featuring Breaking Benjamin, Theory of a Deadman and The Exies.
• April 5, 1983 The Joe Perry Project, featuring the then former Aerosmith guitarist, performed a concert at Cardi’s in Beaumont.
• April 5, 1982 Rush performed at the Lake Charles Civic Center as part of a warm-up mini-tour for the group’s album “Signals,” which was released in September 1982 and featured the hit song, “Subdivisions.” Riggs opened the show.
• April 7, 2007 Texas legends ZZ Top returned to Ford Pavilion in Beaumont for the first concert of the new season, but a massive cold front delivered rain and sleet and 38 degree temperatures throughout the day. Special guests included Los Lonely Boys and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Kid Rock made a special appearance with ZZ Top at the end of the set.
• April 7, 2006 The Second Annual Cowboys on the Coast Motorcycle Rally took place on the grounds of Ford Park in Beaumont as classic rockers Molly Hatchet and Blackfoot also performed.
• April 9, 2011 Earth, Wind and Fire performed at the Beaumont Civic Center as part of the annual Christus St. Elizabeth Annual Gala.