The Orange County Health Inspector recently performed a routine inspection at Whataburger located at 2300 MacArthur in Pinehurst. They received an 87 out of a possible 100. Demerits are for an employee drink sitting inside the cooler and a hamburger found on the storage shelves in back as well as an employee with artificial nails and several gnats found in the restaurant.
The health inspector has noted on several reports in recent weeks concerning expired items found on the shelves in area businesses.
“We check expiration dates at each inspection,” said James Scales, health inspector for Orange County. “The economy has caused people to buy less and some area stores are not aware that the items expired.”
Other scores include:
• Kwik Stop - Valero located at 2000 Texas Avenue in Bridge City. Score: 93. Demerits are for seventy-one expired items on the shelves, and heavy mold found on the drink dispensers.
• The Country Store located at 6373 FM 1442 in Orangefield. Score: 96. Demerits are for seventy-two expired items on the shelves.
• Food Mart #2 located at 915 Highway 1131 in Vidor. Score: 89. Demerits are for name and address needed on all bags of ice sold and 196 expired items on the shelves.
• Valero Kwick Stop #2 located at 1427 Strickland Drive in Orange. Score: 97.
• Jack-in-the-Box #3651 located at 7247 Interstate 10 in Orange. Score: 97.
• Texas Country Store #2 located at 7411 Interstate 10 in Orange. Score: 93. Demerits are for five expired items on the shelves and mold found at all the drink stations.
• Church’s Chicken located at 7409 Interstate 10 in Orange. Score: 88. Demerits are for freezer door not closing properly and in need of repairs, serving utensils sitting inside sink, and floor drain clogged and in need of repairs.
• Pirate’s Stop located at 1883 North Main Street in Vidor. Score: 89. Demerits are for in need of name and address on all bags of ice sold, eighty-six expired items on the shelves, and heavy mold found on drink dispensers.
• Casa Ole #47 located at 1015 North Main Street in Vidor. Score: 94. Demerits are for several flies found and several dishes that still had food on them.