Restaurants will receive demerits during a health inspection if it is not using the proper methods for cooling down foods such as placing foods in shallow pans, separating the food into smaller or thinner portions or using rapid cooling equipment.
Guadalajara at 137 Strickland in Orange received an 84 out of a possible 100 during a recent inspection. Demerits were for cooling beans in buckets on the counter, and beans, rice, fajita beef and chicken at unsafe temperatures.
Other scores include:
• Zuniga’s Mexican Food located at 1925 Texas Ave. in Bridge City. Score: 93. Demerits are for in need of using hair restraints.
• The Shrimp Boat located at 18606 Highway 62 in Orange. Score: 97.
• Ramada Inn located at 2610 Interstate 10 West in Orange. Score: 94. Demerits are for no sanitizer for dishes or food contact areas.
• The Donut Hole located at 6377 FM 1442 in Orangefield. Score: 92. Demerits are for sausage at unsafe temperatures.
• Whataburger #830 located at 7241 IH-10 in McLewis. Score: 100.
• Dollar General #12122 located at 9692 FM 1442 in Orangefield. Score: 100.
• Walgreens #03081 located at 1408 16th Street in Orange. Score: 100.
• John’s Seafood located at 1410 10th Street in Orange. Score: 86. Demerits are for in need of dating and labeling all foods in the coolers, chicken and shrimp were found defrosting on bottom of storage shelves, and in need of covering all foods in coolers.
• Two Amigo’s Mexican Restaurant located at 3130 16th Street in Orange. Score: 92. Demerits are for cooling rice on top of counters.
• Family Dollar #9137 located at 1301 16th Street in Orange. Score: 96. Demerits are for several expired items on the shelves.