Special to The Leader
The Orange Leader
Orange County residents are now required to provide proof of eligibility at the Orange County Tax-Assessor Collector's office in order to obtain farm license plates which have a reduced registration fee.
Effective September 1, 2013, an application for farm license plates, renewal of existing farm license plates, and application for excess weight permits for farm motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers requires the applicant to present proof of a Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number.
Proof of the Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number may consist of:
• The permit issued by the Comptroller;
• A copy of the permit issued by the Comptroller; or
• Verification through the Comptroller's website
It is important for Orange County residents to know that farm vehicles are only eligible for the reduced fee if they are used for specific purposes, including:
• Transporting the registrant's own poultry, dairy, livestock or farm products to another location for sale or processing
• Transporting farm or ranch workers to or from their place of employment
• Transporting farm supplies or equipment from place of purchase or storage to the farm or ranch
• Transporting the owner or owner's family to church, school, medical appointments, equine activities or other trips for home or family necessities
Applicants for farm plates are required to sign a statement that explains the complete operation restrictions.
The State Comptroller began issuing Agriculture and Timber Registration Numbers in January 2012. Under the TxDMV's new rule, the Ag/Timber card used for proof of registration must be current, legible, contain a registration number and be in the name of the person or company in which the vehicle will be registered.