Tommy Mann Jr.
The Orange Leader
Take a look back at some of the great music events featuring national artists which have traveled through Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana over the years. Below are the shows for the week of March 26 through April 1.
• March 27, 2003 Legendary country music singer Willie Nelson performed at Dixie Dancehall in Beaumont to a sold out crowd as the musician toured in support of his January 2002 release, “The Great Divide.”
• March 28, 2013 Whiskey Myers returned to Southeast Texas for a concert at the Dixie Dancehall on Crockett Street in Beaumont with special guest Kyle Parks.
• March 28, 2007 Flyleaf returned to Southeast Texas for a concert at Antone’s in downtown Beaumont as the band performed in support of its EP, “Music as a Weapon,” released in November 2006. Main support act was fellow Christian rockers Skillet, which was touring in support of its October 2006 album, “Comatose.” Opening the show was the band Dropping Daylight.
• March 28, 1985 Lee Greenwood performed at the Lutcher Theater in downtown Orange in support of his May 1984 release, “You’ve Got a Good Love Comin’,” which featured the hit single “God Bless the U.S.A.”
• March 29, 2008 The Crockett Street Entertainment District was the site of an outdoor concert featuring Christian rock act Swtichfoot, which was still touring in support of its December 2006 release, “Oh! Gravity.” Also performing were Athlete and The Myriad.
• March 30, 2001 Country music star and Southeast Texan Tracy Byrd performed a concert in Beaumont with special guests Sammy Kershaw and Brad Paisley.
• March 30, 1980 Singer and songwriter and funk musician Rick James brought the “Fire It Up” tour to the Lake Charles Civic Center as he toured in support of October 1979 release of the same name. Opening the show was Prince, who was touring in support of his self-titled sophomore record.
• March 31, 1981 Country music act Larry Gatlin and The Gatlin Brothers performed inside the Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts in Orange.
• April 1, 2006 Huey Lewis and The News performed inside the Beaumont Civic Center as part of the annual Christus St. Elizabeth Gala.