Special to The Leader
Take a look back at some of the great music events which have occurred over the years in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana. Below are some of the shows that took place during the week of May 8 - May 14.
• May 8, 2004 The Temptations dazzled a capacity crowd at the Jefferson Theater with its classic song and dance show.
• May 9, 1982 Country music singer Conway Twitty, touring in support of his 1982 release, “Southern Comfort,” performed at Lake Charles Civic Center with fellow country music star, Ronnie Milsap.
• May 10, 2010 Rising country music star Carrie Underwood returned to Southeast Texas with a concert at Ford Arena in front of a capacity crowd as she supported her November 2009 release, “Play On,” which features three number-one singles and sold more than 2 million copies. Special guests were Craig Morgan and Sons of Sylvia.
• May 11, 2012 Country music star and Texas native Tanya Tucker performed at Nutty Jerry’s in Winnie, Texas.
• May 11, 2012 The San Angelo, Texas-based trio known as Los Lonely Boys returned to Southeast Texas for a concert at Tequila Rok on downtown Beaumont in support of its March 2011 release, “Rockpango.”
• May 11, 2012 California rockers Trapt returned to Crockett Street for a showcase at The Gig. Special guests included The Dreaming and Candlelight Red.
• May 11, 1982 Motown music legend Ray Charles performed to a capacity crowd at the Lutcher Theater in Orange, Texas.
• May 12, 2012 Rapper, R&B singer, actor and one-time model Tyrese Darnell Gibson, better known as Tyrese, performed at Ford Park Arena in support of his November 2011 album, “Open Invitation.”
• May 12, 1990 Country musician Garth Brooks performed at the Jasper Lions Rodeo in Jasper, Texas in support of his April 1989 self-titled debut which eventually achieved diamond status with sells of more than 10 million copies. The album features the hit songs “Much Too Young (To Feel this Damn Old),” “If Tomorrow Never Comes” and “The Dance.”
• May 14, 2006 Georgia metal band Sevendust returned to Southeast Texas for the first time since the fall of 2003 for a concert at Cactus Canyon in Beaumont with special guest Hour Cast. Sevendust was touring in support of its October 2005 release, “Next.”