Tommy Mann Jr.
The Orange Leader
Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana experienced a lot of good music in 2013 and there were plenty of memorable concerts at big venues and small clubs. Here are the shows that made the Top 5 list for the year.
1. Ford Park celebrated its 10th anniversary in style in 2013 with the biggest concert of the year as country music superstar Tim McGraw performed for thousands of area country music fans. This concert featured one of the top five crowds in Ford Park history as McGraw, Brantley Gilbert and Love and Theft delivered sensational performances.
2. The Black Crowes were the featured artist for the opening event of the 2013 "Party by the Pool" concert series at L'Auberge Casino and Resort in Lake Charles. The band kicked off the season with a standing room only event and left little doubt why it is still a popular touring attraction each year.
3. Neal McCoy may not be a country music superstar, but he is definitely a super entertainer and delivered a stellar performance during the Bassmaster "Sabine River Challenge" in Orange on March 16. Thousands of bass fishing enthusiasts turned out each day for the activities and plenty of fans enjoyed the concert following the Saturday weigh-in.
4. The Gig on Crockett Street played host to standing room only concert this spring as rock band Device, the new project featuring vocalist David Draiman of Disturbed, arrived in Beaumont for an amazing concert. Special guests included Nonpoint and Red Line Chemistry.
5. Southeast Texas native Johnny Winter returned to the Golden Triangle this past fall with a concert at the Jefferson Theater in downtown Beaumont on Oct. 19. The singer and guitarist dazzled the hundreds of faithful fans with an eclectic array of material, including tasty originals and fiery covers that only Mr. Winter can deliver.