Tommy Mann Jr.
The Orange Leader
Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana music fans have experienced their fare share of big concerts during the fall season, and below are several of those events which took place during the week of Oct. 30 through Nov. 5.
• Oct. 30, 1985 Country music star Roy Clark performed at the Lutcher Theater in downtown Orange.
• Oct. 30, 1980 ZZ Top brought the “Expect No Quarter Tour” to the Lake Charles Civic Center in support of its sixth album, “Deguello,” released in AUgust 1979 and featuring the songs, “I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide,” “Cheap Sunglasses” and “I Thank You.”
• Oct. 31, 1982 The legendary Chuck Berry performed at a special Halloween event at the Lake Charles Civic Center.
• Oct. 31, 1966 Legendary rock band The Yardbirds performed at the Beaumont Municipal Auditorium. In a shocking move to many fans, guitarist Jeff Beck either quit or was fired from the band the night before at the show in Corpus Christi, depnding on whose side of the story you hear. The band was touring in support of its August 1966 release, “Over Under Sideways Down.”
• Nov. 2, 2003 Dog Jam III was held at Ford Pavilion in Beaumont as more than 8,000 rock fans turned out for a concert featuring headliner 3 Doors Down, plus special guests Sevendust, Seether, and Shinedown, along with a dozen local bands on a total of three stages.
• Nov. 3, 2011 Rock band Adelita’s Way returned to Southeast Texas for a headlining showcase as part of the Ford Park SRO concert series in Beaumont with special guests Art of Dying, Emphatic and New Medicine.
• Nov. 3, 1977 Blue Oyster Cult performed at the Lake Charles Civic Center ahead of its November release, “Spectres,” featuring the singles “Godzilla” and “Death Valley Nights.” Opening the show was Cheap Trick, which was supporting its sophomore LP, “In Color” featuring the single “I Want You to Want Me.”
• Nov. 4, 2007 Gospel recording artist Byron Cage performed at the Lake Charles Civic Center.
• Nov. 4, 1994 Country music singer Trisha Yearwood performed at the Lutcher Theater in Orange.
• Nov. 4, 1991 Rock group Foreigner performed inside the Lake Charles Civic Center with special guest XYZ.